LifeJourney is excited to announce a new NESA registered teacher professional development course for NSW teachers, Cyber Teacher – Starting Up in Cyber Security. The course aims to build a foundational understanding of the field of cyber security, enabling teachers to effectively communicate to students about cyber security topics and facilitate student learning in the classroom.
Teachers will develop a baseline understanding of the cyber security ecosystem in Australia, and be equipped with classroom-ready curriculum and resources to teach students. The course will contribute 5 hours of NESA registered PD addressing 3.4.2, 4.5.2, 6.2.2 and 7.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
The course is a blended model of in-person workshops and online learning. The first component of the course being delivered through the workshop series across NSW announced today. Upon completion of the workshop, teachers will be invited to complete the Fundamentals of Cyber online module developed by LifeJourney and CompTIA. Dates, venues and registration for the workshop series are as follows:
- 23 July – Sydney Joint Cyber Security Centre (Registration)
- 24 July – Western Sydney University – Parramatta Campus (Registration)
- 29 July – University of Newcastle (Registration)
- 30 July – TAFE NSW Coffs Harbour (Registration)
- 31 July – University of New England – Armidale (Registration)
- 1 August – Charles Sturt University – Dubbo Campus (Registration)
- 7 August – Charles Sturt University – Wagga Wagga Campus (Registration)
- 8 August – Australian Cyber Security Centre – Canberra (Registration)
- 9 August – University of Wollongong (Registration)
The course is recommended for those teaching Digital Technologies, Information Technology, Careers and STEM subjects from Y7-12. The course content has been designed to showcase the cross-disciplinary nature of the Australian cyber security ecosystem and the breadth and diversity of skills required for the future workforce.
Two LifeJourney programs for students, the ASD CyberEXP and the Optus Cyber Security Experience will be explored during the workshops along with other relative cyber security resources and tools for NSW teachers. Guest speakers for the workshops from industry and university to be announced for each event.
For any questions about the Cyber Teacher – Starting Up in Cyber Security course, please email (firstname.lastname@example.org).